In light of updated Scottish Government advice regarding Coronavirus we have taken the decision to postpone this event until further notice. If you would like to keep up to date about our events please sign up to our newsletter.
Join us for drystone day, part of our Master Builders programme. Families can get hands on with the skills used to conserve Scotland's traditional buildings.
Have you ever wondered how buildings like Mousa Broch or Maeshowe were built? Drystone building is one of the oldest forms of building and can be found throughout Scotland. Drystone buildings are built without using mortar by carefully choosing stones.
Learn the traditional skills needed to build with stone without using mortar.
- try your hand at building our drystone wall model using stones or building a broch from LEGO
- explore the archaeology of Mousa Broch, Old Scatness and Jarlshof through its virtual tours and find out more about these fascinating sites using 3D models as we launch a new interactive iBook developed by researcher Li Sou
Don't forget to pick up your Master Builder Log Book and collect a stamp each time you visit to become a Master Builder!
Master Builders take place on the fourth Saturday of the month (term time only).
- this activity may get messy
- please wear appropriate clothing
- we provide the appropriate personal protective equipment for all of our activities (for example masks, safety glasses and gloves)
- activities suitable for ages 7 - parental/guardian supervision required
During the course of public events we may take photographs for use on our website or other promotional material. This would be done under the lawful basis of legitimate interests.
For any photographs of individual children we will ask for your consent. If you have any questions about this please speak to the photographer, or see our privacy notice. You can also contact our Data Protection at email@example.com